Metabolic Syndrome Initiative
Genesis Philanthropy offers you the opportunity to be screened for metabolic syndrome and, if clinically qualified and accepted, to participate in a FREE 10-week online program. Metabolic syndrome leads to many chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
The Spring 2017 classes have ended for Affiliates DeWitt Community Hospital Foundation, Genesis Foundation, and Mercer Foundation for Health. New classes will be offered in Fall 2017. Check back for registration opening announcements or visit facebook for updates.
The program is called Naturally Slim® and has been offered to Genesis Health System employees since 2009. The requirements of the program include:
- Access to a computer with high speed internet. Lessons are accessed weekly online.
- Complete all weekly sessions, most lasting approximately 30 minutes (Week 1 lesson is about 90 minutes).
- Pre and post health screens are required.
- Applicants with at least 3 of the 5 risk factors and financial need are considered in the application.
- Only those who will commit to completing the 10-week program will be accepted to participate.
More than 55% of the Genesis employees who had Metabolic Syndrome in 2009 no longer had the condition in 2014, thanks to the healthy lifestyle techniques taught by the Naturally Slim® curriculum.
Tony Tharp, lost 116lbs with
the Naturally Slim® program.
Metabolic Syndrome is indicated through a bio-metric screening when 3 or more of 5 identified risk factors are present.
The 5 risk factors are:
- Waist measurement greater than or equal to 40" for men, 35" for women
- Blood pressure greater than or 130/85
- Triglycerides greater than or equal to 150
- Fasting glucose greater than or equal to 100
- HDL cholesterol less than 50 in men, 40 for women