Metabolic Syndrome Initiative
Genesis Philanthropy offers you the opportunity to be screened for metabolic syndrome and, if clinically qualified and accepted, to participate in a FREE 10-week online program. Metabolic syndrome leads to many chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Spring 2018 applications are now closed.
The Naturally Slim® program has been offered to Genesis Health System employees since 2009. Program requirements include:
- Access to a computer with high speed internet. Lessons are accessed weekly online.
- Complete all weekly sessions, most lasting approximately 30 minutes (Week 1 lesson is about 90 minutes).
- Pre and post health screens are required.
- Applicants with at least 3 of the 5 risk factors and financial need are considered in the application.
- Only those who will commit to completing the 10-week program will be accepted to participate.
Tony Tharp, lost 116lbs with
the Naturally Slim® program.
Metabolic Syndrome is indicated through a bio-metric screening when 3 or more of 5 identified risk factors are present.
The 5 risk factors are:
- Waist measurement greater than or equal to 40" for men, 35" for women
- Blood pressure greater than or 130/85
- Triglycerides greater than or equal to 150
- Fasting glucose greater than or equal to 100
- HDL cholesterol less than 50 in men, 40 for women